Theme 1 Assignments
Assignments for the first theme. Do both tasks.
1) Reflection (2-3 pages)
- How does ICC link to your major studies? (If you are an ICC major, please think of your previous studies, or other subjects you might have studied.) Please give some ideas of how you could combine or apply an ICC perspective to your selected field of studies.
- What was especially interesting or even surprising for you in this material? Please choose two topics, and discuss them briefly.
2) Information search (2-3 pages)
- Choose an academic journal that concentrates on intercultural communication research. For example, you can go to the University of Jyväskylä library pages to start your seach. While there, click on the link to "e-Journals" on the right-hand side of the screen and use the keywords "intercultural" or "intercultural communication" to find relevant sources.
- Go through two recent issues and observe the research topics there. Which disciplines / perspectives seem to be prevalent? What kind of perspectives seem to be missing? What approaches would you find important to study within ICC, and why?
- Choose one article of interest from the issues. Describe briefly its basic ideas, and critically discuss your views about them.
- Note! Some of the issues may not be available unless purchased. Choose older ones or issues that are accessible. If you are doing this course outside the University of Jyväskylä services, please contact your own university's librarian or choose among publications that are freely available online, such as the Journal of Intercultural Communication.